Skip to main content

Meeting Eddy Merckx



A few years ago I had the opportunity to attend Interbike, the annual bicycle industry trade show in Las Vegas, with a couple coworkers.  The show promised and delivered the chance to see all the cool new products that were being released for the next model year, talk to industry insiders, and learn about new product and tech.
Along with all the product and clinics, there were stars of the sport there.  Meeting John Tomac again was a treat, as was big George Hincapie, Jay Miron, Ron Wilkerson.  But our biggest surprise came while we were headed out to grab a drink when we noticed a familiar face at a table facing the isle...we both stopped, looked at each other, and said 'That's Eddy Merckx!'
Even though we were starving, we decided quickly that we couldn't let an opportunity like this pass by.  We jumped in line and waited our turn to see Eddy.  Waiting in line might seem like a horrible way to spend a half hour of your life at a trade show.  In this case, it gave me more time to take it in - Eddy Merckx!  I honestly never expected to ever meet him and in a few minutes I'd be standing right in front of him.  I don't easily get starstruck.  Eddy Merckx, however, is one of those people who are larger than life.  I've read so many stories, read about his career, watched the movies and some of the races he competed in.  Eddy has done what no other cyclist will likely ever be able to match.  

When it came to my turn, I had Josh take my picture next to Eddy as he signed the poster.  After taking the picture, I stood there next to Eddy for a second to take it all in.  I looked at the poster, then looked at him and said 'that's you.  you were there.  I've never done anything like that.  That's really awesome.'  He just smiled at me.  I thanked him and walked back around the table to take Josh's picture with Eddy.  Josh walked up to him and said 'Eddy Merckx!  You're the Man!' 


I shipped the poster home so it wouldn't get damaged on the trip back.  It now hangs outside my office at home where I can see it every day.  It still amazes me to see the picture, the road, the bike he rode, the look on his face in the poster.  He was there.  He did that.  He dominated.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Kashima Coating?

Kashima coating is a feature currently only found on Fox forks and shocks*.  It's easy to spot from it's distinctive dark brown color.  What is it and why do they use it?  First, a quick definition: Anodizing is a process by which a metal part (normally aluminum) is electrically charged and submerged in a chemical bath.  This creates an oxide layer that penetrates the metal and changes the microscopic texture and the crystal structure of the metal near the surface.  After a part is treated, it can be dyed to give it color before it is sealed to increase durability. Hard anodizing is a similar procedure that penetrates further into the metal. This increases the surface hardness of the material making the surface even more durable and corrosion resistant.  It does not make the metal part stronger, it affects the durability of the surface of the metal. Kashima coating is a type of hard anodizing that involves a lubricating treatment as well.  This not only substantially dec

1986 Fuji Restoration

I just picked up this 1986 Fuji Sagres to restore.  This has been one of my all time favorite bikes and one I've been searching for a long time.  It's gonna be a long term project since it doesn't have the original gunmetal grey Ukai rims and gunmetal grey handlebar tape.  I'd like to pick up some original 27" SCCR Fuji tires too, but that may be asking a bit much. I'm not sure why I've always like this so much.  Maybe the color, maybe it was a good seller for us at the shop back then.  It would have been the year before I started working at the shop so it could have been old inventory or that we just worked on a few of them the following years.  I remember always wanting one, probably has a lot to do with the color.  It's one of the last to have been made in Japan and features quad-butted Valite tubing.  These were decent riding bikes and reasonably priced at about $325 if I remember correctly. So why the big deal about a mid 80's Fuji?  The s

Disc Brake Pad Differences

This is kind of an oversimplification of a complex subject, but I tried to make it easy to understand. There are two main types of disc brake pads:  Organic and Metallic. Organic pads (sometimes called resin pads) are the most common on new bikes.  They are made of an organic material (ground cashew shells on some pads) mixed with an epoxy.  They work well because they have a good 'grippy' feel when braking and they create less noise.  They are also less expensive than a metallic pad.  However, they don't deal well with extreme heat generated by the brake system and they wear faster. Metallic pads (sometimes called sintered or semi-metallic) are designed for heavy duty use and are less common on new bikes.   They are made of copper, brass, and/or steel mixed with epoxy.  They work well in messy conditions - mud, sand, and rain and last much longer than organic pads.  The downside is that they make much more noise and will wear rotors faster. Manufacturers may offer