Skip to main content

Classic Colnago Steel

I received this frameset as a Christmas gift last year and it quickly turned into one of my favorite bikes.  I haven't spent much time trying to find out the exact model and year because, frankly, it really doesn't matter to me.  I have a serious appreciation of old steel, particularly Italian steel.   (Don't mistake me for a curmudgeon though.  I like carbon fiber too- I own a couple carbon bikes)  I was raised in my mechanical youth with steel and they still have a soft spot in my heart.

When I was younger I worked in a small shop in a small town.  The only Colnago bikes I ever saw were in a magazine.  To me they were rare and expensive, something I wanted badly but never thought I'd be able to afford one.  At that time the used bike market wasn't anything like it is today (how eBay has changed things!) and these types of bikes have become much easier and less costly than they were in 1990.

For the last few years, I've enjoyed building my classic steel bikes like new bikes - ergo shifters, carbon cranks, 10 or 11 speeds, etc.  Even though I really enjoy the simplicity and smooth lines of down tube shifters, I find that I'm more apt to ride a bike with ergo shifters.  I never thought I'd say that but that's how it is.  Campy ergo shifters are more comfortable and of course, easier to shift.  So what I end up with is a mix of older parts (I still like quill stems, the ride quality is great) along with newer components that make this bike and my others as fun to ride as any of my new bikes.


I built this Colnago with a Record 10 speed group, by far one of my favorite component groups. Shifters, brakes, derailleurs are Record while the crankset is Chorus.  In the 10 speed generation, it just didn't get any better than Record.  It works great and looks great.  The wheels shown were replaced with a Campy Vento wheelset that look awesome and spin on super smooth bearings, as you would expect from Campy.  They aren't my favorite for ride quality but the high polish on the deep aluminum rim gives a striking look to any bike.   And they're perfect on this bike.
The handlebars and stem are my standard for all my steel bikes- 3TTT.  I was hooked on their Forma bars the first time I used them and still like the way they fit.  They are so comfortable in the drops that I spend a good part of my rides in the drops.

The ride quality of this bike is outstanding.  Colnago has always had frame geometry nailed to give a good balance of quickness while still being well behaved.  Many bikes offer super quick handling but tend to be all over the road and difficult to ride no-handed.  This bike makes me feel like I'm just along for the ride.  It easily holds a straight line so cruising down the road feels effortless.  If I feel like hammering through a corner, it inspires confidence to do so.   Every Colnago I've had is like this - it's no wonder why they have always had such a large following in the cycling community!

Thanks for taking a look at one of my favorite bikes today.  If you're in the mood for some tech stuff, check out my other blog indybikemechanic.blogspot.com.  Hope to see you on the road or trail soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Kashima Coating?

Kashima coating is a feature currently only found on Fox forks and shocks*.  It's easy to spot from it's distinctive dark brown color.  What is it and why do they use it?  First, a quick definition: Anodizing is a process by which a metal part (normally aluminum) is electrically charged and submerged in a chemical bath.  This creates an oxide layer that penetrates the metal and changes the microscopic texture and the crystal structure of the metal near the surface.  After a part is treated, it can be dyed to give it color before it is sealed to increase durability. Hard anodizing is a similar procedure that penetrates further into the metal. This increases the surface hardness of the material making the surface even more durable and corrosion resistant.  It does not make the metal part stronger, it affects the durability of the surface of the metal. Kashima coating is a type of hard anodizing that involves a lubricating treatment as well.  This not only substantially dec

1986 Fuji Restoration

I just picked up this 1986 Fuji Sagres to restore.  This has been one of my all time favorite bikes and one I've been searching for a long time.  It's gonna be a long term project since it doesn't have the original gunmetal grey Ukai rims and gunmetal grey handlebar tape.  I'd like to pick up some original 27" SCCR Fuji tires too, but that may be asking a bit much. I'm not sure why I've always like this so much.  Maybe the color, maybe it was a good seller for us at the shop back then.  It would have been the year before I started working at the shop so it could have been old inventory or that we just worked on a few of them the following years.  I remember always wanting one, probably has a lot to do with the color.  It's one of the last to have been made in Japan and features quad-butted Valite tubing.  These were decent riding bikes and reasonably priced at about $325 if I remember correctly. So why the big deal about a mid 80's Fuji?  The s

Disc Brake Pad Differences

This is kind of an oversimplification of a complex subject, but I tried to make it easy to understand. There are two main types of disc brake pads:  Organic and Metallic. Organic pads (sometimes called resin pads) are the most common on new bikes.  They are made of an organic material (ground cashew shells on some pads) mixed with an epoxy.  They work well because they have a good 'grippy' feel when braking and they create less noise.  They are also less expensive than a metallic pad.  However, they don't deal well with extreme heat generated by the brake system and they wear faster. Metallic pads (sometimes called sintered or semi-metallic) are designed for heavy duty use and are less common on new bikes.   They are made of copper, brass, and/or steel mixed with epoxy.  They work well in messy conditions - mud, sand, and rain and last much longer than organic pads.  The downside is that they make much more noise and will wear rotors faster. Manufacturers may offer